PhD Position: "Armed Groups' Politics of International Legitimacy"
The Institute of Political Science in the Department of Social Sciences, University of Bremen, invites applications for the following academic position (under the condition of job release), starting February 1, 2021, until January 31, 2024.
Research Position/PhD Researcher (f/m/d)
Salary Scale: German Public Sector Salary TV-L 13, part-time 65%
Geographical Scope: Southern Africa, Maghreb, Middle East, Central Asia
Working Language: German and English
The project “Legitimitätspolitik bewaffneter Gruppen” is funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG). It is co-directed by Dr. Stephan Hensell and Prof. Dr. Klaus Schlichte and analyses the politics of legitimacy of non-state armed groups.
Responsibilities of the PhD Researcher
The PhD researcher will assist in the specification of the theoretical framework and be responsible for the research and analysis of two of four case studies. The researcher will undertake field research and provide in-depth case-studies. S/he will cooperate with the other team members in the comparative analysis of all cases and in the publication and dissemination of the research results.
The possibility to derive a PhD dissertation thematically related to the project is given. A membership in the Bremen International Graduate School for Social Sciences is optional.
- M.A. Degree in Political Science, Regional Studies, Sociology, History, Anthropology or a related discipline
- Research experience in one or more of the regions relevant for the project (Southern Africa, Maghreb, Middle East, Central Asia)
- Expertise in one or more of the following fields: peace and conflict studies, comparative politics, international relations/foreign policy, history
- Experience with qualitative methods of research
- Fluency in English, both spoken and written
- Language skills for one or more of the regions relevant for the project (Southern Africa, Maghreb, Middle East, Central Asia) are an asset
- Willingness to conduct field research